By Rukhshana Media
The Taliban closed the girl’s secondary schools, said principals of high school and directors of educational centers who have received a decree from the Taliban’s directorate of education in the western province of Herat.
In the decree issued on Thursday, the Taliban said girls in grades 7th to 12th are not allowed to sit for the annual school exam, according to the school principals and directors.
“It is addressed to all schools and educational centers. Without an exam, the girls in grade 7th to 12th will be elevated to the next grade,” said the principal of a girls’ high school in Herat who has received the decree.
Rahman Mohammadi, director of a private school in Herat who has also received the letter, said the Taliban has also ordered the private school to not charge fees.
Rukhshana Media has seen a copy of the decree which does not have any stamp or signature, but it contains the name of Herat education directorate as the issuing authority.
The Taliban officials in Herat province did not respond to Rukhshana Media’s request for comment.
Last week, a Taliban official in Herat province confirmed to Rukhshana Media that girls from grades 7 to 12 will be allowed to resume their education.
Since the Taliban’s lightning takeover of Afghanistan in mid-August, girls from grades 7 to 12 have not returned to school in 30 out of 34 provinces. On September 17, the Taliban effectively banned girls from secondary schools when it ordered teenage boys to return to schools, but made no mention of girls.